It’s been a while since I wrote but with good reason. One of my Best friends got married about a week ago ( I love you B!) . Amazing day, ain’t God good?! So in between that and transitioning to a new job I haven’t had the time but I’m back with a bang!
I have been protective styling a lot this summer but before I do I ensure that my hair is properly prepped and ready to be protective styled. Having well conditioned hair before doing any protective style is necessary for new growth. Below I will list my regimen before I protective style:
Prior to Wash Day —
I start off by pre-pooing my hair with coconut oil
- section hair into manageable parts
- apply coconut oil, finger detangle each section. (I used the whole foods organic coconut oil since trader joes is out of stock with theirs)
- twist each section
- cover hair with plastic cap and keep it overnight
To avoid any pillow spills, tie a silk scarf over the plastic cap
Wash Day —
Any co-wash or moisturizing sulfate free shampoo will work well
Two of my favorites are devacurl no poo cleansing conditioner (pictured above) and Pantene truly natural cowash
- keep the hair in sections and wash concentrating on the scalp
- rinse out any lather
- for a potent conditioner I like to make a potent mix of the conditioners I have available. I used shea moisture raw shea treatment masque, yes to carrot conditioner, Braggs organic apple cider vinegar and coconut oil. ( pictured above)
- mix all the products above for a semi solid consistency
- just add 2 teaspoons of the Braggs organic apple cider vinegar
- apply the conditioner mix to the sections and cover it with a plastic cap
- this is a good time to apply heat; if a steamer isn’t available try heated caps such (hair therapy wrap ) and (Hot Head Thermal Hair care). All under $30, I have the hair therapy wrap and it’s pretty effective.
- I normally condition for at least 45 minutes
- wash out conditioner with cold water
washing in sections and twists helps to prevent tangles.
- at this point slather your leave in/detangler (I use kinky curl knot today) and detangle
- after the detangling session, I add my Oyin honey dew conditioner, I love this product and it smells yummy too!
- seal with oil of your choice (I use my oil mix)
- if you are going to twist or braid hair you can then twists with lush r&b or use a homemade shea butter mix as a cheaper option
At this point your hair is ready for any protective style!
#hellosassynaturals #deepconditioning #protectivestyles #sheamoisture #oyin #yestocarrots #naturalhaircare #devacurl #lushcosmetics #hairtherapywrap #braggs